Saturday, May 23, 2009

Day 2 - Nashville, TN

638 miles today.  Did my usual while on a riding trip: woke the rooster and was almost on the road by 7:15am. But then I checked the air in the tires and was delayed. On cars, that's a pretty easy thing. On a Nomad with big saddlebags, it ain't easy. I actually have to lay on my side and contort myself to get the air filler tube to marry up to the nozzle. But, as Dolly Parten says, "If you want the rainbow, you have to accept the rain." Did that too. It sprinkled most of the day, but lightly, only once approaching something we'd call rain. Kept things cool as I "joined the slab." Met up with I-30 just west of Texarkana and spent the day on it. Took I-40 out of Memphis to Nashville. Evidently, I-30 died in Memphis and no one reported it. No mention was made of it among all the visit Graceland signs. To the left is my majority view today. Exciting stuff, huh? I'll take the high enema option. (Note: If you click on a picture it will enlarge, though for the life of me I can't imagine why you would do it to this one.) Nothing much to do while riding this stuff but observe fellow travelers (not the commie ones) and make suppositions about what they're doing and why. Example: passed a young lady driving a U-Haul truck, puttering down the road somewhere around its governed limit. No male, no children, just moving. Sort of a rare thing. Broken love affair? Marriage? Headed home to Mama? Just took a new and exciting job and is on her way to conquer the world? Probably not...they usually pay for the move for those jobs. Laid off and heading home for moral sustenance? That one's definitely possible today. I wish her well.  

Made it to Memphis about 2:00pm. Nothing much to say about that, is there? Elvis has left the building. Did see a guy in a pickup with a small barbeque unit in the back. Talk about hauling coals to Newcastle! Pulled into Nashville about 6:30 got a room and we're up-to-date. Moral disclaimer: I did not promise excitement of any kind. Hopefully, by eob (that's end of business for all who don't know Vera) tomorrow I'll have something to show and tell.

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahaha..... you are a nut Jerry. You sound just like the guy on 20/20. Well man keep up the great work out there and show those notherns what TEXAS is all about. Stay safe and dry.

    ps "Real Men Pledal" hahahaha I had to say it!

    ReplyDelete