Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 4 - Victor, NY

443 Miles today Wow! Yesterday was a head-banger. Managed to get the riding gear almost dry before heading out this morning. Ate the light continental breakfast (exactly which continent is it where they eat like a bird?) and hit the road. There was a real nip in the air, causing me to pull over after about twenty miles and zip the insert in my riding jacket. At that point, I remembered the third forgotten item: the long underwear. The riding pants were still a little damp and it was cool riding all day long. Sufficiently cool so that I didn't feel the need to brag about that "convenient" little breeze they provide in the hottest situations. The gloves were still soaked so I tied them onto the bungee strips holding my tent bag on the bike. That works great. After about 90 minutes they were as dry as a bone. The weather was cool with a brisk wind. I could tell when I got close to the lake (Erie), the wind picked up and had even more "bite." Pulled into Buffalo about 1:30pm after many miles on that bird-food breakfast. The only thing on my mind was the Anchor Bar, one of Guy Fieri's stops on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. I don't know who the fat guy in the window is. Well, as you can see, I was there. The problem was that no one else was. The place was closed. After I detoured to get there!!! What a bummer. There should be a law that a condition of all restaurant licenses is they must be open on national holidays. And I was soooo looking forward to this place. Not my first disappointment. Disappointed and hungry I set out for Niagara Falls. Figured they wouldn't close for the friggin' holiday. I was right, they were open. Parking is $10. What can you do? It's like airport beer! Follow the mist. Falls would have been more impressive if I hadn't ridden through them yesterday. Kilroy was here! Passed on this. I got that wet yesterday and didn't have to pay a cent for it.

7 comments:

  1. Jerry it's good to know that you are doing well on the trip. Now as I look at the picture it looks like someone I know but since you are coming back to work one day I will make sure not to say who I think it is... Now that just sucks.... Guy has been going on and on about this place and he failed to memtion that they were closed....you should have shot up the place and said that you were Yo-Simmity Sam and screamed out " I'm the routness, Tootness, Shootness bobcat wild tail in the west" hahahahahhaha well hope to here more from you tomorrow....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, That's Frank & Theresa's Anchor Bar! I've eaten there, must have been in the early 80s. They had amazing Spumoni, too. The real thing, and soothed the head rush from the hot sauce on the wings. Their sons, or son & cousin, moved down here and opened a place on Lake Conroe. Not sure if it is still there. Too late now, but not too far from Frank & Theresa's was a killer little Italian restaurant. Killer food, but also where Joe Todaro and associates would frequent (they had a back room, too). Sometimes the black cadillacs, Park Aves, etc., would be parked halfway on the sidewalk, all askew. Dang, what a memory blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. and kings is not open on sunday thats a sin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamey, I was really disappointed. I had starved myself and was so looking forward to it. Todaro and associates, huh? Obviously, the local welcome wagon, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, after reading and seeing the photos I was disappointed, too.
    I think that would be Todaro, Family, and associates, but these days, maybe a more "moderate" welcome wagon, eh?
    Ride on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my old backyard. It reminds me of TOSRV during mothers day weekend, college, regattas, learning to sky, becoming a gringo...
    The falls have a much better view from the Canadian side, and the fee to cross the bridge is cheaper than the parking one.
    Noticed that you did not stop at Garcia's Irish Pub. The name is intriging, but Guiness still taste much better in Ireland.
    This reminds me that we missed happy hour at Sherlock's this evening...
    happy riding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Walking across the Peace Bridge used to be free...who the froosh is charging and what the froosh for, walking? US or Canada? If the sneaky mustards have a toll booth in the middle they're likely splitting it. Grrrr.
    Horseshoe falls are spectacular.
    Do you ever wonder who really first discovered the falls? Or how many?

    ReplyDelete