Monday, June 1, 2009

Day 11 - Wytheville, VA


271 Miles today

Claye and I hit the road about 9:30am this morning on our way to Chancellorsville Battle site. As most know, I'm a history buff and this is always a treat for me.







The fat kid at Chancellorsvile. Not far from here is the spot where Stonewall Jackson was shot by his own troops, and the house in which he died a few days later.










My guide, host, riding idol and friend Claye.










Claye rode with me as far as Lynchburg, home to the famous Reverend Jerry Falwell. I even rode out of town on a road named after him. I remember my thoughts when it was announced that Falwell had died on May 15, 2007: I wonder who was more surprised on the morning of the 16th, the Devil, or Mr. Falwell?
Following Fleeter through the Virginia countryside. Great ride.

(FYI - Fleeter was the name of Belle Boyd's horse during the civil war. Ms. Boyd, of course, was a famous southern spy.)









We stopped for lunch in Gordonsville at the Inwood Restuarant. Absolutely one of the best hamburgers I've had in years. Tasted just like those I used to get at Holder's Cafe growing up in Tavares, Florida.










Claye turned back toward Fredericksburg and I pushed on through Roanoke and stopped in Wytheville for the night. Tommorrow: pointing back toward Texas...but not exactly sure which route I'll take.

No comments:

Post a Comment