Friday, June 5, 2009

Day 15 - Home

442 Miles today

Got up early and hit the road for home and my 7:00am tee time tomorrow. I'm sure my friend Fleeter (Claye) is unbelieving at this; I can get a new bike and go home instead of riding until the last minute of my vacation. But, there's method in my madness. I'll play golf then clean up the bike and go for a ride. Best of both worlds!

Not much to report on this ride, other than Betsy performed very well. I really like that 6th gear and the cruise control. I had a throttle lock on Betsy I and it worked okay, but only for short relief spells off the throttle. Hills, in either direction, caused the gravity-dictated speed changes one would expect. In the past I said I wouldn't pay $600-$1000 to have longer spells of relief off the throttle. But, I guess I have now, huh? I like it.

After buying the bike I went online to record the new bike information for insurance purposes. I was unable complete it because they kept requiring me to enter an option for trailer accessories, something I don't have, nor want, and would not let me continue without this extraneous information. Concerned that if something happened they wouldn't pay off any claim I called during a break today. Imagine my surprise when the guy told me my insurance would double, that's 2X, because I've "moved up in class." I told him I'd probably be "moving to another insurance company." Such absolute C-R-A-P only happens in the world of insurance. They are continually trying to maximize their revenue (an honest goal) by creating risk pools, then finding some way (a dishonest practice) to place any changes into the higher risk pool therefore 1) reducing the overall actuarial risk for that pool and 2) improving their revenues and, therefore, profits. But what would one expect from an industry that has such stalwart members as A.I.G.?
What's going to happen is I'll go find another carrier who will, as this one did, lowball me to get the business then increase the premiums year after year, or whenever I make any change they can then move me into "another class." Please, please don't tell Momma I'm an insurance company executive, she thinks I've been running a whorehouse."

I'll summarize the trip in mileage and particulars later. Right now I'm unwinding and glad to be doing it. Not really glad to be home...that means working again. Nasty word, that working.

Jerry

No comments:

Post a Comment