Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 12/13 - Knoxville, TN area

239 Miles

Didn't make many miles in the last two days, but, as they say, changes have occurred.

Sylvia R. was in Texas for a family function when I visited Claye. The good news is Claye and I talked last night and she reported Sylvia was spending the night in Sevierville (actually Kodiak on the I-state), TN just down the road. So, upon hitting the road I called her and we managed to meet at a restaurant between our two night stops for a cup of coffee and a catchup. Like Claye, Sylvia's just a nice person and a treat to be around. I have to be on my best behavior, though. She's a law officer and there's these things in my past you know. I'm of no interest to Homeland Security, but there was that Snickers bar thing back in 1955, and the hotel towel in '93. I've also woken with little or no memory of what occurred the night before, just flashes of pink boas, silly puttey and lots of red, perhaps lipstick or nail gloss, but you never know for sure do you? I've been on the run ever since. Will they ever leave me alone? Haven't I atoned at all? Hasn't my life meant anything? Well...no.

I had known upon leaving for this trip that I would have to replace the rear tire somewhere down the road. The econ major in me won't let me change a tire with 2500+ more miles on it so I committed to making a change mid-trip somewhere. Claye noticed when I was at her house that the back was wearing past the wear points, so it was time to do it. Unfortunately, I like white walls on Betsy and they are virtually impossible to find. Then, if you find one it won't match the front so one has to consider breaking economic "law" and changing that one before its time. Which relights my fire on motorcycle tires: 1) Why does the back wear at twice the rate of the front? And 2) if they make tires for cars that go 50,000 miles why can't they for motorcycles. I get somewhere around 9-10,000 on the back and 16-18,000 on the front.

Anyway, after making about three separate stops looking for tires I pulled into Moutain Motor Sports in Sevierville, TN about 2:00pm. I ended up buying two new tires. They were attached to a different motorcycle.

Sitting in the showroom was the new Kawasaki Voyager I have been lusting for in exactly the colors in which I was interested. They are so new, and the recession is so strong, and dealers are real tight with their inventory, I've never seen one except in pictures on the web. That, along with a couple of unanticipated expenses, was the reason I haven't bought one. But, what the hell, you only live once and if you don't spend it the bankers, Wall Street, or the government (or a combination of all three) will get it anyway.

So...the long and the short of it is Betsy et mort, Vive Betsy II.



I gotta be honest, sitting here tonight I miss Betsy. She was extremely reliable, and hauled me through 48 states and over 54,000 miles.











Betsy II. 2009 1700cc Kawasaki Voyager. 6-speed transmission, cruise control, faring, built-in radio. Rides smooth and powerfully.










Very bright spots. That's a good thing.



















Brake light and light bar in the rear...that's a good thing.


I'm happy.







Problem...there's always a problem...the dealer was unable to mount my Garmin GPS. Not the end of the world, but after doing Alaska and something like 48,000 miles using paper maps I grew very accustomed to GPS and the technology very quickly. Plus, it liberates you on the road. You can try out all sorts of roads and routes and know you can find your way back to where you want to be without the gene-busting act of having to ask for directions.

So, I farted about Knoxville all morning and half the afternoon trying to find someone, then the parts, then someone else to set up the Garmin. Finally I drove back to the dealer and had them wire the electricity for me and I jury-rigged a mounting to get me home here at the motel tonight. It's not pretty, but I have my GPS and my XM radio back. Hey, neat thing, I can play the latter through an FM channel on the built-in radio on the bike...I'm happy...I'm happy.

Heading home, but going to flower-sniff a little on the way. It's about time, too. Between the weather and the day lost buying a bike and setting up a GPS I'm ready for some treat. Of course, thunderstorms are forecast all the way back to Texas for the next three days.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go!!!

    COngratulations on the new ride, if you don't spend it, it's just green paper.

    ReplyDelete